Host cities have lobbied the federal government for funds, while visa approval process could impact international teams, fans
Article continues below
Article continues below
Article continues below
White House, FIFA meetings boost host city optimism
Trump to chair World Cup task forceVisa delays remain major concern for 2026Follow GOAL on WhatsApp! 🟢📱WHAT HAPPENED?
Recent meetings between FIFA President Gianni Infantino and the White House regarding security and logistics for the 2026 World Cup have been met with optimism by host cities and other event stakeholders, according to the Sports Business Journal.
“[The World Cup] is going to be an unbelievable opportunity to showcase the United States, but we’re going to have to be prepared from a security standpoint, from a logistical standpoint, to make sure this happens the way that it does,” Rep. Darin LaHood (R-Ill.), who co-chairs the Congressional Soccer Caucus, told SBJ.
President Donald Trump has announced he will chair the World Cup Task Force. SBJ has reported that Andrew Giuliani, a former New York gubernatorial candidate and the son of longtime Trump ally Rudy Giuliani, is expected to be appointed as executive director, overseeing day-to-day operations.
“We have been advocating for the White House before this administration to create the World Cup Task Force,” said Peter Tomozawa, CEO of the Seattle Host Committee. “And we’re very pleased to see it come together.”
AdvertisementGetty ImagesTHE BIGGER PICTURE
FIFA President Gianni Infantino has stressed that travelers from around the world will be welcomed at the 2026 World Cup, saying the sport's governing body has assurances about security from the White House. Concerns over a lengthy approval process for visas is another key issue.
“It is very important we have the engagement of the different government agencies to make sure that security is guaranteed, that fans can travel to the U.S. and around the U.S., that transportation is working perfectly, that the world will be welcomed," Infantino told The Washington Post.
Infantino met with Trump in Washington D.C. in March, subsequently meeting with other cabinet members. He discussed "security and potential issues" that could arise from a high volume of visitors expected to come to the U.S. for the global tournament.
The 11 U.S. World Cup host cities have been jointly lobbying the federal government for $625 million in appropriations to support security and emergency services. The host cities are responsible for covering these costs under their agreements with FIFA.
Still, other concerns remain, including issuing of visas. Fewer than half of the teams expected to qualify for the 2026 World Cup hail from countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Program, which enables most citizens to travel to the U.S. for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.
Teams and fans from other nations will have to go through a visa application process that, according to SBJ, could take more than a year. Among likely World Cup qualifiers, non-Visa Waiver Program countries with the longest wait times include Colombia (507 days), Nigeria (377 days), Mexico (350 days), Ivory Coast (280 days) and Costa Rica (279 days).
Those seeking to travel to the U.S. from countries that are included in the Terrorist Travel Prevention Act – including Iran, which has already qualified for the World Cup – face larger obstacles in obtaining visas. The U.S. State Department has encouraged “prospective foreign travelers who will need U.S. visas to attend the 2026 World Cup to apply now.”
GettyDID YOU KNOW?
FIFA recently revealed its 2026 World Cup host poster for the NY/NJ region, where the final will be held, last week.
WHAT NEXT FOR FIFA?
FIFA is getting ready for its revamped 2025 Club World Cup, set to kick off this summer on June 14.






